Sleek, white kitchens are one of the most popular trends in interior design. Bright and cheery white tiles, sinks, cabinets and even appliances are replacing the dark and heavy wood and granite of the past couple of decades. White or off-white makes kitchen spaces seem large and airy, creating a sense of tranquility and freshness. Of course, kitchens are high-traffic areas and in order to retain their sparkling appearance, white cabinets and surfaces need to be maintained. Here are some tips to help keep your beautiful kitchen looking like new!
• Avoid Direct Sunlight – If you are in your kitchen planning phase, try to design your kitchen to avoid direct sunlight, as this can turn white cabinets, counters and appliances yellow over time, making them seem dingy. You can also install blinds or window treatments to help protect your kitchen from direct sunlight.
• Install Hardware on Cabinet Doors & Drawers - This will help keep away those fingerprints :-)
• Clean Regularly – The first step is to clean often. Use gentle, natural cleaning products to avoid staining, or mix baking soda with vinegar and lemon for a simple, effective solution. Use microfiber cloths. Clean spills immediately to avoid stains. Pay attention to high-touch areas like cabinet doors or appliance handles, which will accumulate more fingerprints and grime.
• Invest in an Exhaust System – Grease and food particles in the air can quickly build up on surfaces. Install an effective exhaust fan or range hood to pull cooking debris into the vent and away from cabinets and other porous materials.
• Clean grout - Yellowing of the grout in tile backsplashes and even flooring is unfortunately very common and can also make your kitchen look dingy.
• LED Lighting - Choosing the right lighting and color temperature also makes a big difference in keeping your kitchen looking clean and fresh.
The white kitchen trend is here to stay. Modern, fresh and bright, white kitchens provide a welcoming space in any home. The key to everything is to keep things up. By caring for your surfaces and cleaning spills up right away, you can avoid yellowing and staining and enjoy the tranquility of a pristine white kitchen for many years to come!